Obsolete Things in 21st Century Schools

My mom actually passed along a very interesting blog post to me which I thought I would share to you all.  It is called 14 things that are obsolete in 21st century schools, and is written by Ingvi Hrannar Ómarsson- who is an Icelandic elementary teacher & Entrepreneur.  I found this article very interesting as he details things he believes are no longer needed in modern schools, and there is a strong theme of creating connections and educating through and with technology.  I recognize a lot of the things the author finds obsolete as things which existed in my elementary school, which reminds me of my recent challenge to myself to always keep moving forward.  Here is the list of what things he thinks are now obsolete:

1. Computer Rooms

2. Isolated classrooms

3. Schools that don’t have WiFi

4. Banning phones and tablets

5. Tech director with an administrator access

6. Teachers that don’t share what they do

7. Schools that don’t have Facebook or Twitter

8. Unhealthy cafeteria food

9. Starting school at 8 o’clock for teenagers

10. Buying poster-, website- and pamphlet design for the school

11. Traditional libraries

12. All students get the same

13. One-Professional development-workshop-fits-all

14. Standardized tests to measure the quality of education

I encourage you to check out his blog post to see the reasoning behind each of these ideas.  Do you think there are any other things that are obsolete in the 21st century classroom that he missed?

6 thoughts on “Obsolete Things in 21st Century Schools

1. Sam, this is great. Sadly, as I read through these 14 things, I noticed how many of them were exciting and very present in my own schooling. I do agree with blog post, because many of these things are becoming a thing of the past and as we start to step into our own classrooms, I am sure we will have many things accessible to our students that we would have never dreamed of when we were students ourselves. This is very thought provoking and reflective. Thanks for sharing!

• Hi Ingvi,
      Thanks so much for commenting, I really enjoyed your post. I’ll be sure to check out your new post on the 10 more things. All the best,
      Sam